Windows 7 task bar comes integrated with a set of features for its users. Most of the users find it really pleasing to work with relatively bigger icons, pinning options and jump lists. Would you like to change the way those icons look or want to remove some of Windows 7 icons from the task bar? As you do more programs in your computer you are likely to pin more icons onto the task bar which sometimes can cause clashes and may look clogged.
How to Remove Applications Icons from the Task Bar
- Go to the Windows 7 task bar in the lower left-hand corner of your computer screen and hover your mouse over the icons of applications to view the titles. Some of the titles refer to applications that are already open while others are applications like Internet Explorer and other web-browsers. There will be other software applications as well in the task bar.
- In the task bar, right-click on that particular application icon that you wish to remove and then select the option “Unpin this program from task bar“. That particular icon will be removed from the task bar. Sometimes you may not see this menu and may only see the “Exit” option. In that case, what you have to do is to navigate to the “Start” menu, go to the “Control Panel”, select “Programs” and “Uninstall or change a program” to uninstall the program. Choose the program that you wish to uninstall and click “Uninstall” to remove it. Once it’s uninstalled, you will no longer see the icon in the task bar as the program is removed.
- If you want to remove more icons, repeat the same until you get the desired task bar appearance. If you accidentally remove an application, just right-click and pin it to the task bar or the “Start” menu as you like.
You can remove the icons from the Notification Area as well
- Go to the “Start” menu and select “Control Panel”. Select “Appearance and Personalization”, “Task Bar” and “Start”
menu. You will get the “Taskbar and Start Menu Properties” dialogue box.
- Now go to the “Notification Area” tab. In order to remove those particular system icons, navigate to the System Icons section and select those icons you want to remove by unchecking the boxes adjacent to the icons.
- To hide icons, click “Customize” and click the icon and select “Hide” from the drop-down menu and click “OK”.
- Finally click “Apply” and then “OK”.
Try these steps and get rid of those unwanted Windows 7 icons off your task bar.